Who doesnt know about Saint Thiagararaja, one of the carnatic music Trinities.His maternal grandfather, Giriraja Kavi,was a poet-composer in the court of the king of Thanjavur.Tyagaraja was born in 1767 in Tiruvarur, a small town in the Thanjavur district, in his grand father's house, to Ramabrahmam and Sitamma, a Telugu brahmin couple.Having started his musical training at an early age under Sonti Venkataramanayya, a noted music scholar, his objective was purely devotional rather than the technicalities of classical music.He was also good at composing music, and, in his teens, composed his first song Namo Namo Raghavayya in the Desika Todi ragam, and inscribed it on the walls of the house.
Tyagaraja Aradhana, the commemorative music festival is held every year at Thiruvaiyaru in the months of January to February in Tyagaraja's honour. This is a week-long festival of music where various Carnatic musicians from all over the world converge at his resting place. On the Pushya Bahula Panchami, thousands of people and hundreds of Carnatic musicians sing the five Pancharatna Kritis in unison, with the accompaniment of a large bank of accompanists on violins, flutes, nagasvarams, mridangams and ghatams.The religious part of the aradhana celebrations began during the time of Thillaisthanam Rama Iyengar (‘antharanga sishya’ of saint Tyagaraja).
My neice in US wanted a Thiagaraja for the Aradhana celeberations at her place, she being a good musician and part of a music group.It was required to be done, when I was in my son's place in California, where we couldn't get masonite boards at short notice.So, I decided to buy the Tredrix canvas board, which under normal circumstances, I would never have done.All the other materials were genuine, like the finest quality of gold foil etc.since more than dress materials, I prefer to take all my artist supplies, while going abroad, so that I can indulge in my favorite pastime.My daughter in law helped me in getting the board and spent enormous amount of her valuable time between her work and household duties to get the appropriate frame, a synthetic one.he frame cannot be seen here, since the painting was photographed before framing.The picture was packed with bubble wrapping and sent thro' Fedex, and was very happy to know later that it reached Omaha safely in spite of glass and all well in time for the Aradhana .
The size of the painting is 24"X20".I used acrylic paint, since it was a canvas board meant for oil & acrylic painting.After taking a sketch, I started the work.I deliberately reduced the goldfoil portions, since the theme is more of devotion, and music.My neice wanted a simple picture too.The pillar was added and embossed, painted in white with blue shade, to break the monotony of the electric blue, or ultramarine blue in the background.Also I wanted the stress to be on the painting aspect rather than the gesso and gilding.It is for the same reason that I introduced the curtains, instead of a grand mandap, as is done in almost all the tanjore paintings.The addition of the Divine Trio, of course doesn't conform to the traditional style of this type of paintings, but had to resort to it, again to reduce the impact of too much blue background.Of course Thiagaraja was always visualising Rama as his constant companion, and Rama also would have to be listening to his devotee singing his praises!Please don't fail to look at the very small figure of Lord Hanuman, at the bottom left of the painting, who is sitting crossed legged and and the right palm on his mouth with utmost humility, listening to the praise of his Chosen Idol!
Tyagaraja Aradhana, the commemorative music festival is held every year at Thiruvaiyaru in the months of January to February in Tyagaraja's honour. This is a week-long festival of music where various Carnatic musicians from all over the world converge at his resting place. On the Pushya Bahula Panchami, thousands of people and hundreds of Carnatic musicians sing the five Pancharatna Kritis in unison, with the accompaniment of a large bank of accompanists on violins, flutes, nagasvarams, mridangams and ghatams.The religious part of the aradhana celebrations began during the time of Thillaisthanam Rama Iyengar (‘antharanga sishya’ of saint Tyagaraja).
My neice in US wanted a Thiagaraja for the Aradhana celeberations at her place, she being a good musician and part of a music group.It was required to be done, when I was in my son's place in California, where we couldn't get masonite boards at short notice.So, I decided to buy the Tredrix canvas board, which under normal circumstances, I would never have done.All the other materials were genuine, like the finest quality of gold foil etc.since more than dress materials, I prefer to take all my artist supplies, while going abroad, so that I can indulge in my favorite pastime.My daughter in law helped me in getting the board and spent enormous amount of her valuable time between her work and household duties to get the appropriate frame, a synthetic one.he frame cannot be seen here, since the painting was photographed before framing.The picture was packed with bubble wrapping and sent thro' Fedex, and was very happy to know later that it reached Omaha safely in spite of glass and all well in time for the Aradhana .
The size of the painting is 24"X20".I used acrylic paint, since it was a canvas board meant for oil & acrylic painting.After taking a sketch, I started the work.I deliberately reduced the goldfoil portions, since the theme is more of devotion, and music.My neice wanted a simple picture too.The pillar was added and embossed, painted in white with blue shade, to break the monotony of the electric blue, or ultramarine blue in the background.Also I wanted the stress to be on the painting aspect rather than the gesso and gilding.It is for the same reason that I introduced the curtains, instead of a grand mandap, as is done in almost all the tanjore paintings.The addition of the Divine Trio, of course doesn't conform to the traditional style of this type of paintings, but had to resort to it, again to reduce the impact of too much blue background.Of course Thiagaraja was always visualising Rama as his constant companion, and Rama also would have to be listening to his devotee singing his praises!Please don't fail to look at the very small figure of Lord Hanuman, at the bottom left of the painting, who is sitting crossed legged and and the right palm on his mouth with utmost humility, listening to the praise of his Chosen Idol!


No comments:
Post a Comment